Standard 8: Instructional strategies.

The teacher understands and uses a variety of appropriate instructional strategies and tools to promote learning and inquiry based on knowledge of the learner, subject matter, community, intended student standards and curriculum.

Indicators:

• Uses a repertoire of instructional strategies that are based on research and best practices
  • Explains the rationale for the selection of instructional strategies and tools based on student goals, needs and talents
  • Reflects systematically and continually on instructional strategies and makes adjustments accordingly
  • Empowers students to think for themselves and construct knowledge

Personal Artifacts: (To view artifact, click on title-words in red are links)

Reflective Analysis Clay Unit

I love to experiment and I love to learn. While teaching, I am aware of my practice and whether or not it works for students. Be it from my own observation or student feedback. I take pride in my ability to see what works and what may not within a lesson and am eager to adjust as such, whether it be the way I present the lesson, to certain materials available for students to work. Within my clay unit, I wrote a reflective analysis for each lesson pertaining to things that I saw to keep in mind or change for the next time.

Visit from Maine art teacher Joe McLaughlin

Joe McLaughlin is a high school art teacher in Buckfield. During one of the art education seminars, he was a guest speaker, and he presented mostly on street art lessons. He shared with us different ideas and resources for adapting street art into the art room. Joe even included us in one of the lessons where we were able to make a wheat paste and collaboratively glue drawings onto plywood, in the style of real street artists. What I gained from this visit was that students are engaged by and deserve to be introduced to contemporary artists of various cultures. Students want to be able to relate to what they are doing in school, to what intrigues them in their social lives.

Lesson board; principles and elements

While student teaching at Great Falls Elementary, my mentor and I were trying to think of ways that we can transparently incorporate the elements of art and principles of design into daily lessons. I thought that in order for students to make connections, to have the elements and principles handy to link them to your daily lesson. I cleared a space on the board next to the board in which we show artist examples, and made a section solely for "today's lesson". The elements and principles would be listed below for that days lesson for all to see. Keeping in mind, listing them in a coherent order within the lesson introduction can really help as well.