Standard 7: Instructional planning.

The teacher consistently plans and evaluates instruction based on knowledge of the learner, subject matter, community, intended student standards and curriculum.

Indicators:

• Plans and implements curriculum and instruction according to students’ developmental needs, prior knowledge and interests, for both individuals and groups
  • Plans curriculum and instruction beginning with identified learning standards and goals (academic, social skills, life skills, and communication skills)
  • Designs coherent daily, unit, and semester/year-long plans through curricular mapping
  • Reflects systematically and continually on instruction and makes adjustments accordingly
  • Coordinates with students’ teacher(s) across all settings (SPED, ELL) to enact Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
  • Implements lessons using effective pacing, well-sequenced procedures, and well-prepared materials

Personal Artifacts: (To view artifact, click on title-words in red are links)

Integrated Unit

As I was student teaching at Great Falls Elementary, I collaborated with a 3rd grade general ed teacher. Mrs. Bartash shared with me her curriculum map for the 2012-2013 school year. She uses commoncore.org to help map out the school year and gain resources for future projects. I could see that the month I was to be teaching a collaborative lesson with her, that she would be teaching her students Creative, Inventive, and Notable People. How perfect to collaborate that idea into the art room. My mentor and I planned on portraits in a very inventive style; cubism, with Picasso as inspiration.

IEP Meetings and Follow-through

As IEP meetings are confidential, I have no specific artifact to showcase from my placements. However, while I was interning at Edward Little, I attended numerous IEPS and was able to give feedback to the guardians of students involved. During an IEP, the teachers discuss what they feel is working, or not working for a student and the intention behind this is to help the student succeed. Having contact with all of the teachers for specific teachers is a great way of helping the students succeed.

Student Teacher Assessments

Nearing the end of my internship at Edward Little, I called upon the guidance of a colleague, Leslie, in how to have students assess me successfully. In using her outline, I had each student I taught fill out an assessment regarding my time spent with them. It was annonymous, so I told the students to be honest. I learned a lot reading through them, about myself and the students. The two images I have linked above are two of the most thoughtful assessments I received. It is a good reminder to us all that, even if they don't appear to be, students are always aware of what the teacher is doing; especially if it impacts the student in one way or another.