Standard 3: Beliefs about teaching and learning.

The teacher clearly communicates beliefs about teaching, learning, and the role of education in ensuring access and equity for all students.

Indicators:

• Clearly communicates a realistic vision or stance (personal philosophy) for a learner-centered education
  • Seeks opportunities to discuss beliefs with colleagues
  • Uses reflection and inquiry to clarify and challenge beliefs
  • Is confident and open about beliefs
  • Demonstrates practices that support espoused beliefs and communicates them to others
  • Articulates the importance of an equitable education for all students

Personal Artifacts: (To view artifact, click on title-words in red are links)

Journal Entry, "Art making is not an activity just for the gifted"

This artifact is based on my reflection from the following:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/474/back-to-school

Listen to the above radio link: Episode 474: "Back to School", originally aired on Sept. 14th, 2012

Read the article and think about both materials as you reflect on your teaching this week:

Why do we teach art in schools ? Why is art important within the context of our current system? Do you think you can merge your personal viewpoints of art and creative practice in your teaching- knowing the system of standardization we are living within? Do you think you will need to compromise your art values? Will you need to compromise the art  you make- as a teacher?

Connecting Restorative School Practices to Brain Research

One of the biggest things I value is the sense of community, inside and outside of a classroom. In each class, there are possibilities for growing an open community where students feel connected to each other. While student teaching at Great Falls Elementary, I attended a training by Chuck Saufler M.Ed. titled Connecting Restorative School Practices to Brain Research. It was an engaging and empowering talk on how feeling connected is the most important aspect that we can do for our students. The lack of feeling connected to peers, teachers, and themselves in a moral and spiritual meaning is a problem in today's youth. The biggest things I left with, that I learned during this training is that relationships are essential, socially and academically. The brain is anticipatory, which means that if you handle a situation in the same manor, or need to reprimand a student for misbehaving, one comes to anticipate the outcome of the situation and a lack of caring arises as they think, "yeah, yeah, I know". When one needs to speak with a student about a situation, do not ask them "why" as it is easy for them to shut down and not answer, but rather, "what were you trying to make happen?", "how did you expect them to act?", and "how do you feel about it?" Any state of mind you are constantly in changes your brain; experience physically reshapes the brain. Taking the time to evaluate and examine one's actions benefits the students academically and socially. Positive feedback is also something to be conscious of as a teacher. Saufler has a slide that states, "How people interpret their successes shapes how they will interpret their failures. Our style of feedback shapes out student's self talk." One guideline for feedback is to praise the product and the process, rather than the person. "How we praise shows what we value." -Carol Dweck. In the parking lot after this training, I was speaking with Chuck Saufler, and he departed with this quote, "Practice makes permanent."

Teaching Philosophy

Excerpt: As a lifelong learner, I am constantly eager to research, experiment and reflect on how to develop a successful learning environment for students. One of the biggest challenges that I am looking forward to tackling as an art teacher is how to get students to learn. In asking myself, “what does it mean, to learn?” I thought of many things such as, learning is problem solving and learning how to think, not just what to think.