Standard 10: Professional development.

The teacher is above all a learner who reflects on and evaluates choices and actions, and continually strives to improve practice

Indicators:

• Actively seeks out and participates in professional development activities and articulates and applies what is learned
  • Actively seeks and acts upon feedback from colleagues and students
  • Continually reflects upon, inquires about, and employs new teaching practices
  • Honestly assesses her or his own knowledge and abilities and acts upon that assessment by setting goals
  • Demonstrates competence through multiple sources of evidence
  • Engages productively in collegial discussions about educational issues

Personal Artifacts: (To view artifact, click on title-words in red are links)

Maine Arts Assessment Initiative Mega-regional Workshop 2013

March 1 at USM, I attended an MAAI workshop about assessment. Danette Kerrigan taught Assessment, A Self Help Program for the Art Teacher. She introduced a program, Bento, to us and how she uses it for keeping track of student work and assessing. Shannon Westphall taught Assessments and Essential Standards in Visual Art. The talk was mostly about standards based teaching, but the most beneficial part of the talk was when it was more of a conversation with teachers in the 'audience' and Shannon. Having a 4 point standards level seems to be a more commonly evolving thing in schools so to learn different teacher's take on the levels was interesting. For instance, level one would be unsure of how to do work, and need teacher's assistance. Level 2 could be know how to do work, need some assistance. Level 3 could be know how to do work on own. Level 3 is the passing grade, and most teachers felt that students were content on getting a 3. Questions on how to want to make students reach for a 4 was put out there, with no real clear answer. Level 4 could be knows how to do work, in a unique way, can teach it to another, etc. I am glad I went to the workshop, as it was nice to be able to see other teachers! 

Evening for Educators at the PMA 2013

March 27th at the Portland Museum of Art, I attended an evening for educators called Visible Learning: Mapping Curriculum and Looking at Student Art with Professor Paul Sproll. Within this lecture, he touched upon critical inquiry, aesthetic inquiry, and historical inquiry in which they are all interconnected and should be approached as such while keeping in mind investigating, searching for meanings, creating, and analyzing. Paul Sproll introduced a new way of mapping curriculum, in a vertical row with multiple lessons on each page, being sure to add things such as the standards, visual references, and lesson goals.

MAEA Spring Conference UMO 2013

The conference was the first workshops I attended that were not based on assessment. I was very excited to attend, as art teachers from all over the state were there to learn with me. The first workshop I participated in (list in artifacts) was based on drawing, and ways to engage the learner in non-traditional ways. The second workshop I attended was revolved around illusion and perception. It was a low-stress workshop where we viewed optical illusions. The third was based on teaching art history. I lef this talk with some good notes, including context-historical, emotional, environment. Use more than formal properties-storytelling. Modern art can be linked to art past but kep it current enough to keep students engaged. Expand beyond the 'safe world' of art history, with his exmaple being Hirst. I look forward to the next MAEA Conference.