Standard 1:  Diversity of child/adolescent development, learner needs, and equitable and culturally responsive practices. 

The teacher accesses knowledge of learner preferences, developmental stages, and cultural background to support students’ intellectual, physical, and social development.

Indicators:

• Identifies individual, student and group differences (e.g. intellectual, cultural, social)
  • Gathers data from multiple sources on how students learn
  • Draws on students’ stages of development, learning styles, strengths and needs, to design instruction and inform educational programs
  • Draws on students’ experiences and family and community influences to design instruction and inform educational programs
  • Demonstrates understanding of and sensitivity to issues of diversity and equity during the design and assessment of instruction
  • Makes appropriate accommodations and modifications for individual students who have specific learning differences or needs
  • Uses appropriate services or resources to meet learners needs

Personal Artifacts: (To view artifact, click on title-words in red are links)

While a student at USM, I was enrolled in class, Teaching Students with Exceptional Needs. Throughout the class, we were to keep notes and do research on certain resources that we found helpful and/or interesting. The end result is an ever evolving resource folder full of useful books, websites, programs and courses for parents and educators in helping people with various types of exceptional needs.

One of the most recent adventures with my USM Art Ed cohort was to The Art Department on Congress Street in Portland this past April. While The Art Department is a program of Creative Trails, it lends itself to solely being creative arts-based for those with exceptional needs, looking to explore an art outlet. The evening was spent with the program manager, Liz Mortati, and Becca, who confidently attends The Art Department. We got to hear of the projects being explored by those at The Art Department, Becca's personal outlook on herself as an artist, and the program, and ways we can become part of the program, whether through volunteering or an artist in residence. I left the building feeling very fulfilled and inspired by Becca and The Art Department and I know that will not be my last time through those doors.

Adaptive Class in Elementary

While student teaching at Great Falls and Narragansett Elementary Schools in Gorham, I co-taught two adaptive needs classes with my mentor, Allie Rimkunis. Every student to come in would have an aide to help carry out the lesson for the day. Some students excelled in art, while others had a hard time participating due to various reasons, such as tactile, auditory, or attention issues. Helping through these classes made me realize, though the same age as other students in the school, the group in the adaptive classes were more focused on motor skills, and keeping things simple and short. Whether it was a special pair of scissors,  a template for a certain shape to trace, or special brushes with the paint inside, this class was fortunate enough to learn with. The images that are linked are of a project we did where the students had their bodies traced, and they could then decorate it and hang it in the hallway at school. One image shows an exemplar student, with an artists mind, getting a bit off-track from the project, making planets in a flip book. One thing I learned for sure is to honor that drive and redirect back to the group project when the time is necessary.