The teacher understands and uses a variety of informal and formal assessment strategies (both formative and summative) to evaluate and support the development of the learner.

Indicators:

• Communicates clear expectations and provides descriptive feedback to students
  • Encourages student goal-setting and self-reflection during informal and formal assessment
  • Accurately documents, interprets and reports assessment results to students , parents, colleagues and the community
  • Uses a variety of informal and formal assessments that provide valid evidence of student's performance of learning goals, objective outcomes and standards
  • Interprets assessment results to adjust instruction and enhance student progress and confidence
  • Supports students' performance in district and state assessment programs
Artifacts:
Teacher Evaluation, 2012 & 2013
It is of great importance that all my students feel that their opinon and feedback is valued and heard. I gave "Ms Zate Evaluations" at each of my placements, to provide the opportunity for students to share constructive feedback of my time with them.

Art III Cake Painting, Student Progress, 2012
As an artist, I understand the value of seeing your work at various stages. For my Art III students, whom I was able to introduce oil painting to, I wanted to document their progress not only myself but for them. Visibly seeing your own work shift and change is fascinating and gives insight into your own creative process in ways that just seeing your final work does not. I took images of the cake paintings at the end of each class and -when finished- created individual thumbnail worksheets for each student, documenting their own progress.

Dual Self-Portrait Assessment, 2012
This rubric encompasses both a student evaluation and a teacher evaluation for the same assignment. As a life-long learner, I am always shifting and changing according to my students' needs and interests. I want to hear what my students think of projects and in turn, want to hear the reasoning behind their own self-assessment. This is not only literary practice, but also encourages deeper self-assessment beyond circling numbers.