The teacher demonstrates ethical and legal professional behavior within school and community and works collaboratively with colleagues, parents and community members to improve conditions of learning for all students and adults.

Indicators:

• Recognizes the teacher's role as a moral steward and model for students
  • Demonstrates knowledge of social issues, professional organizations, and advocacy activities that promote appropriate programs for students and families
  • Maintains a professional demeanor (e.g., arrives on time and is prepared for responsibilities, dresses appropriately)
  • Complies with school polices regarding health, safety, sexual harassment and abuse issues
  • Adheres to a code of ethics that demonstrates an understanding of the laws that govern student rights and teacher responsibilities
  • Honors confidentiality
  • Readily listens to and communicates with parents
  • Consults with other school professionals concerning a student's learning for health when appropriate
  • Collaborates and consults with an open mind with colleagues, specialists and support staff to ensure student learning
  • Develops partnership with parents and guardians in support of student learning and well-being.
  • Participates regularly in school and community events
  • Seeks resources in the community to enhance student learning
  • Participates as an active, contributing member to work teams and committees.

Artifacts:

Assisting in the set-up for the City Hall Show, Portland, 2013

As the coordinator of the Portland City Hall Art Show, my elementary mentor teacher had a long to-do list before the opening. I pre-cut most of the black mats as well as the name tags for both teachers and student-artists. For two hours on a Friday, I helped assist in the set up of all the display panels on both the first and second floor. Once the panels were all in place, I then used zip-ties to connect all the otherwise wobbly panels together for better support. (See image above for student work from my placement school, Reiche, in the City Hall show.)

Creating a Digital Image Bank for Brunswick High Art Department, 2012

For my high school community service project, I created a digital image bank for the Brunswick Art Department. This involved several hours of not only scanning in the images and deducing the file size to a manageable, but still high quality level. There was a solid amount of investigating what assignments were common in the high school curriculum and gathering the books that gave suitable example images for these assignments. The completed image bank was placed on three thumb drives, given to each teacher and also placed on the three desktop Apple computers in the Digital Photography room.

Student entries in the Brunswick Town Seal Competition, 2012

My high school Digital Art class participated in the Town Seal Competition in fall of 2012. Using the skill set we had learned in Adobe Illustrator, all students created a town seal for the competition. Some students chose to enter their designs, and of those students, one received an honorable mention.

Displaying student work at Brunswick Central Office, 2012

After completing the unit lesson on color value, as a preface to oil painting, Art III students had their work displayed in the stairwell of Central Office for two months.