The teacher understands the framework and standards of the subject matter she teaches. She uses the discipline's tools of inquiry, central concepts and internal structure, and makes interdisciplinary connections to promote learners' inquiry.

Indicators:

• Assesses learners' prior knowledge and modifies instruction accordingly
  • Demonstrates a mastery of accurate content knowledge across art forms required in USM's BFA-AE program, visual culture and art history
  • Engages learners as investigators in activities that highlight key concepts in content areas(s)
  • Continues to learn subject matter in an ongoing way
  • Creates own artwork during the student teacher year
  • Models and encourages students' application of the discipline's tools of inquiry (creating artworks, researching art and art education, viewing artworks, critiquing artworks)
  • Assesses learners' prior knowledge and modifies instruction
  • Presents content and concepts through multiple representations
  • Draws on multiple resources to plan lessons and engage students in learning concepts
  • Creates learning experiences that integrate knowledge of different disciplines with art

Artifacts:

Greely High School, Visiting Artist Residency, February 2013

woodblockimages_figures.pdf

final greely workshop budget.pdf

I was able to introduce Advanced Placement students to woodcut and screen printing over the course of a 2 week residency at Greely High School. It was a wonderful opportunity to still be teaching, but as an artist sharing my love and skill with the printmaking medium. I was able to bring in my own work as examples (as well as other resources) and talk more in depth about my own work in ways that I couldn't as an art teacher in a public school.

Praxis I (2012) and Praxis II (2013) Scores

Offical Praxis I and II scores.png

The Praxis Tests are a series of standardized test that are required to gain acceptance for teacher certification. The Praxis I test basic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. This test is designed to evaluate whether you have the basic skills needed to be an educator and all teachers must take the Praxis I. The PRAXIS II: Art Content Knowledge test must be passed in order to earn an Art K-12 teaching licence. The exam covers art history, art making practices, art materials, the traditions of art, art criticism and aesthetics, and the making of art.

BFA, oil painting concentration. Wright State Univeristy, 2007

I took the "extended" route to my first undergraduate degree. I entered college unsure of my ability and direction.  I skipped around my first three years before my passion of art and learning was realized. When I made the choice to become an art major, I sensed the excitement of change upon me but I had no idea what doors would open for me in the future. Extensively studying the subject matter than I want to teach, and having both a BFA and an Art Education degree makes me highly qualified to be an art educator.