Standard 8: Instructional strategies.  The teacher understands and uses a variety of appropriate instructional strategies and tools to promote learning and inquiry based on knowledge of the learner, subject matter, community, intended student standards and curriculum.

Indicators:

• Uses a repertoire of instructional strategies that are based on research and best practices 
  • Explains the rationale for the selection of instructional strategies and tools based on student goals, needs and talents 
  • Reflects systematically and continually on instructional strategies and makes adjustments accordingly 
  • Empowers students to think for themselves and construct knowledge
ARTIFACTS:

If You Finish Early... Handout: I was a high school art sub for two days this Spring. The first day I was there I realized quickly that the assignment left by the teacher was not going to fill the ninety minute class period. Some students were even finished their work within the first fifteen minutes. Rather than have them play on their iPads for the duration of the class, I quickly put together a drawing worksheet for "If You Finish Early..." Since I was not their actual art teacher, I allowed the handout to be optional, but to my surprise every student opted to at least give it a try.

Photo 1 - Multiple Exposures Demo: In a demo on how to create a "multiplicity" composite image, I used students as the models. Part of this project was to create multiple images of yourself into one image. Rather than demonstrating on myself, I chose to use a couple students for my example. This kept the demo a lot lighter, more entertaining and the students were much more eager to see the outcome because of the silly poses the students took in their images.

Line Game with Ms. Laura: The first part of my Kandinsky's Mathematical Lines lesson begins with a game. My third grade students felt that the game was similar to Simon Says, so they dubbed it "Ms. Laura Says." This was the first step-by-step guided lesson I had tried, and for a lesson like this it worked wonders. Normally, I stay away from heavily teacher-guided lessons in art because I believe that students learn so much from exploring on their own. However, in order to set them up well for success in the second part of the lesson, the guided game became a necessary and fun tool.