Standard 5: Professionalism and collaborationThe teacher demonstrates ethical and legal professional behavior within school and community and works collaboratively with colleagues, parents, and community members to improve conditions of learning for all students and adults.

Indicators:

• Recognizes the teacher’s role as a moral steward and a model for students
  • Demonstrates knowledge of social issues, professional organizations, and advocacy activities that promote appropriate programs for students and families
  • Maintains a professional demeanor (e.g., arrives on time and is prepared for responsibilities, dresses appropriately)
  • Complies with school policies regarding health, safety, sexual harassment, and abuse issues
  • Adheres to a code of ethics that demonstrates an understanding of the laws that govern student rights and teacher responsibilities
  • Honors confidentiality
  • Readily listens to and communicates with parents
  • Consults with other school professionals concerning a student’s learning or health when appropriate
  • Collaborates and consults with an open mind with colleagues, specialists and support staff to ensure student learning 
  • Develops partnerships with parents and guardians in support of student’ learning and well-being.
  • Participates regularly in school and community events
  • Seeks resources in the community to enhance student learning
  • Participates as an active, contributing member to work teams and committees

ARTIFACTS:

Parent Teacher Conferences: During my high school internship, I spent two afternoons and evenings participating in mid-term parent teacher conferences. At that point in my internship I was the lead teacher in the art room and was able to discuss the students' progress and growth that I had seen in their recent projects.

Notes Home to Parents: My elementary mentor has begun a practice this year where she sends an informational note home with every art project the students create. As a part of my internship, I created the notes for each of the lessons I taught.

Pownal Art Show: A few months after my elementary internship was done, I returned to Pownal Elementary School to assist my mentor in her preparations for the Spring art show. I displayed the artwork that I had taught in the fall as well the work the students had done since.