Standard 3: Beliefs about teaching and learningThe teacher clearly communicates beliefs about teaching, learning, and the role of education in ensuring access and equity for all students.

Indicators:

• Clearly communicates a realistic vision or stance (personal philosophy) for a learner-centered education
  • Seeks opportunities to discuss beliefs with colleagues
  • Uses reflection and inquiry to clarify and challenge beliefs
  • Is confident and open about beliefs
  • Demonstrates practices that support espoused beliefs and communicates them to others
  • Articulates the importance of an equitable education for all students

ARTIFACTS:

Classroom Management PhilosophyCreating a positive classroom environment is vital to students' creativity and comfort in taking risks and trying new things. My management philosophy outlines my beliefs on how I create an atmosphere in the classroom conducive to problem solving, risk taking and exploration through art. 

Art Education Philosophy: My art education philosophy illustrates my core educational beliefs and practices. It also shows the influence that art education can have on the motivation towards hard work, exploration and risk taking in my students.

Philosophy of Art - Was Plato Right?: In my Philosophy of Art course at USM, we explored the perspectives of many philosophers on the value and purpose of art in society. Plato, in particular, was very much opposed to art due to its danger to society and the impact it was having on the fragile minds of humans. In an excerpt from one of my research papers, I discuss the merits and downfalls of Plato's philosophy.