Classroom Management Philosophy

Creating an atmosphere conducive to creative expression and exploration is at the heart of my classroom management practices. I believe that having a supportive learning environment in the art classroom can shape the way students approach learning in all areas. Much of this atmosphere is created in the one-on-one interactions between teacher and student, however, there are essential practices that benefit all students that I feel are important to implement before the students even enter the classroom.  The art room is similar to a science lab, in that the necessary tools and materials must be readily available and easily accessible in order to begin experimentation. Particularly in the high school classroom, students often have difficulty coming up with concepts or ideas for their artwork. My role as an art educator is to foster their abilities and provide inspiration for their concepts, allowing them to reach farther than they ever expected they could.

In order to accomplish that goal of pushing students to success beyond expectation, I must first know my students individually and understand their personal level of expectation for achievement in the art classroom.  I feel this is necessary because, in my experience, students’ self-expectation as an artist can often be unbelievably low, and with the right encouragement and guidance can grow incredibly high and pour into their self-confidence in all areas of learning. That being said, the atmosphere or climate of the art classroom can boost or crush that growing artistic self confidence. One negative remark about a work of art could outweigh all of the confidence that was built during the art making process. Expected and strongly established classroom behavior is vital to all other classroom management philosophy. My role as the teacher is to establish, encourage, and model examples of positive language and behavior in the classroom.