The BFA Senior Exhibition is a celebration that displays the hard work of the seniors of the University of Southern Maine's art education department. This show helps viewers to understand the hard work that is put into balancing being both artist and educator. Read my artist statement to learn more about my work. 

Kristen Stanley Artist Statement  

Much of my personal artwork embodies the concept of self-identity. I was raised in a small town, in Maine, where I have always felt that I am a valuable member of my community. My strong ties to my hometown and it’s neighboring towns have become the central focus of my artwork. Many of these town’s historic buildings and farms provide an opportunity to capture the unique character and spirit of my community. Photography serves as an outlet to preserve the history, and memories formed, within my area in a way that is uniquely my own. 

Art has always played a significant role in my life, as I come from a family of artists. Early experiences with my grandmother helped pique my interest in art as well as foster my artistic development.

My most current works serve as an exploration of ideas, mediums, and processes. Many of my photographs exhibit this exploration. My recent photographs explore the processes of traditional black and white film photography and practices of modern, colored photography sometimes combining the two.