The teachers understands the social, ethical and legal issues associated with the use of technology and tools of the discipline, and uses technology and tools to support teaching practice and student learning.

Indicators

• Readily uses email and other online means to communicate
  •  Explains the rationale for the selection of technologies and tools based on student goals, needs and talents.
  • Uses computer technology to create appropriate learning materials
  • Uses and engages students in the use of a repertoire of current and emerging technologies (traditional art materials and tools as well as computers), including assistive technology, based on research and best practices.
  • Ensures equitable access and safe use of technology resources for students
  • Evaluates and adjusts strategies for using technology and tools based on student performance
  • Uses electronic means to record and report student data
  • Articulates school policies regarding the use of technology and tools.

Artifacts 

2013, Using an iPad to Assess Learning and Understanding

During my internship at Jameson Elementary, I was surprised that the art room was the only room without a Smart Board. I used this opportunity to bring in my own iPad to engage students in fun assessments. Students touched the iPad screen and circled which picture was either John James Audubon or Jonathan Harris. After I introduced a lesson about painting Maine animals, students were shown Audubon and Harris' wildlife paintings side by side on the iPad screen. When students realized they could draw on the screen, they instantly became excited and eager to participate in the learning activity. Creating this interactive assessment game helped me to investigate and learn about the drawing applications available on the iPad, as well as to understand the importance of technology in the 21st century art classroom.  

2013, Using Laptop Computers to Access the Britannica Online.-

The clay unit I taught during one of my internships required students to gather information for an insect report. Taking advantage of the schools laptop initiative, I helped students answer questions relative to their insect of choice. Students learned how to access specific websites through the schools library page and also learned how to record their references. 

View full lesson plan: Handbuilding With Clay

2013, Students in 7th and 8th Grade Write Online Artists Statements. 

While concluding my internship at Cape Elizabeth Middle School, I had my students finish their clay projects by writing an imaginative story, which went along with their work. The story was composed on a Google drawing document where students added a background color, boarders, and a title. I emailed all students the project instructions and requirements and when the document was finished it was then linked to the school's art web site.