My Beliefs about Classroom Management

In my experience, I have found that empathy, humor, and understanding create an ideal foundation for a safe and positive learning environment. Using this platform I have been able to find a balance between consistent discipline and creative spontaneity I facilitate students personal growth by presenting lessons within a safe space where they have the opportunity to learn at their highest potential. I believe a combination of relationship-building with students, clear and consistent discipline, engaging lessons, and organization will help to create a positive classroom community for student learning.

I have also discovered that student learning and understanding occurs best when I teach to the needs of my students, and listen to their input. I make it a priority to support and check in with individual students while in class, and also make myself available outside of class. In addition to being attentive to each learner, I feel it is equally important to work with the complete school community of parents, teachers, and staff. Communicating with the entire school community and advocating for students in a comprehensive manner gives them a better chance of succeeding, not only in the arts but also in all classrooms.       

Building relationships are critical to a positive classroom environment, but it is also important to create consistency in the classroom. To foster this consistency when I teach, for example, I have my students enter the room and meet me at the front to casually touch base and make them feel at ease before class begins. Students expect this, it keeps them close for demonstrations, and it allows me to assess student understanding. While demonstrating, I always acknowledge a student's answer or question, but never point out their faults; instead, I steer them toward another direction of inquiry, acknowledging their responsiveness with positive reinforcement. As students gain confidence within the class unit they can then collaborate in groups, which establishes potential for unknown perspectives to blossom: peer relationships further reinforce and support ideas of trust, community building, and responsibility amongst all students.

Once rules and expectations are established in the classroom, I can better meet the needs of my students and can get to know them as time goes on. This structure, combined with lesson delivery and organization, is integral for student success within the classroom. As my students learn from me, I too intend be open and willing to learn from them, granting them an example of life long learning.