The teacher clearly communicates beliefs about teaching, learning, and the role of education in ensuring access and equity for all students.

Indicators

• Clearly communicates a realistic vision or stance (personal philosophy) for a learner-centered education
  • Seeks opportunities to discuss beliefs with colleagues
  •  Uses reflection and inquiry to clarify and challenge beliefs
  • Is confident and open about beliefs
  • Demonstrates practices that support espoused beliefs and communicates them to others
  • Articulates the importance of an equitable education for all students.

Artifacts

2012-2013, Journals Throughout Internship.

Writing and documenting my assistantship and internship experiences helped  in gathering my thoughts about what worked and what did not work in the classroom. Journaling required me to investigate my mentors' actions and teaching strategies, and how to improve upon my own teaching. Writing forced me to dig into lessons, searching for hidden curriculum and opportunities for teaching moments.

2013, Integrating Environmental Science into the Art Curriculum

Figure 1

Figure 2

Integrating science into the art curriculum is an important aspect to my teaching philosophy. I feel as though science seamlessly fits into the curriculum and gives students an opportunity to gain background information on the topic at hand.  I have found that when physical references such as, insect collections (figure 1) and taxidermy animals (figure 2), are obtained and presented alongside the art making process, students experience a full understanding of the subject matter.  In order to gather such specimens for my classroom, I worked with the USM science department in Gorham Maine and the Audubon Society in Falmouth, Maine.

With help from the USM science department, 5th grade students in Cape Elizabeth middle school became entomologists as they observed an insect collection, gathered information and research, drew diagrams, and created clay insect tile reliefs. The goal of the integration was to focus on topics such as native and non-native insects, predation, habitat, and life stages. The collection was on loan in the art room for two weeks and students from other classes came in to observe the interesting critters.  View Full Length Lesson: Handbuilding with Clay

With help from the Audubon society, 2nd and 3rd grade students in Jameson elementary school became scientific artists as they observed and painted taxidermy animals such as: a wood chuck family, a buffle head, a wood duck , a beaver, a skunk, and a fox. The goal of the integration was to teach students about John James Audubon, taxidermy, and Maine animals and their habitat and lifestyle. The taxidermy animals were rented two at a time and each of the the classes got to experience the different animals.  View Full Length Lesson: Maine Animals

2013, Philosophy of Art Paper

Writing my philosophy of art education paper has helped me to gather my ideas and beliefs about teaching students in the K-12 school system. My objectives as an art educator are to meet student learner's needs, while also encouraging an appreciation of art, a perception of critical and creative problem solving, and a pursuit of life long learning. These objectives will only be met if I myself am inspired and passionate in the arts. My interests lie in the natural world around me, and my paintings show the fluid and peaceful presence of what I see. If I myself set an example of passion, inquiry, and excellence, my students will learn to do the same. 

View Full Length Document: Philosophy of Art Education