The teacher creates a democratic learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning , student responsibility, and self-motivation

Indicators

• Creates a comfortable, well-organized physical environment with clear academic and behavioral expectations
  • Works with students individually and as a group to manage their own behaviors and assume responsibility for their own learning
  • Implements positive classroom management techniques for establishing structures, routines, and procedures, gaining attention, and facilitating transitions.
  • Uses time effectively
  • Creates an environment in which students work both cooperatively and independently
  • Establishes a classroom climate of openness, caring, mutual respect, and inquiry
  • Facilitates student choice and decision-making
  • Engages students in service to classroom, school and community 

Artifacts

2013, Encouraging Interpersonal Relationships and Communication.

While interning at Jameson Elementary School, I taught a Maine Animal unit and for the last lesson students worked in groups of three to four to complete a habitat mural. When I first had students working in teams, I immediately saw how unpracticed they were with communicating in a group. Each class period they worked on the mural, I encouraged students to communicate ideas and feelings about the art making process with other group members instead of just thinking for themselves. Facilitating this process showed me the importance of getting students to work and communicate as a team. View Full Lesson: Maine Animals

2013, Video of Lesson Introduction 

The video of myself teaching shows how I work to promote a positive classroom environment where a community of learners can feel comfortable communicating and asking questions. I enjoy starting my classes off with students meeting as a group in the front of the room. This gives me a chance to greet and chat with my students as they arrive to class, and it also allows me assess student understanding of the lesson as I demonstrate. 

2013, Class Room Management Paper

Writing my classroom management paper has helped me to establish my beliefs about teaching.

As an art educator, I believe it is my responsibility to present lessons and facilitate personal growth in a safe environment where students have the opportunity to learn at their highest potential. Creating a safe environment includes the combination of relationship building with students, assertive discipline, and lesson delivery and organization. This will help to create a positive community of learners.

View full length paper