March 30, 2018

Dear Sir or Madam,

It is my pleasure to write a letter of recommendation for DaraLyn McColl, who is a hardworking and

passionate educator at Gorham's Village Elementary school and art tutor for heterogeneous students

throughout the community. I have known DaraLyn since the 2015-16 school year when my daughter

(Ella) began taking private art lessons with her. DaraLyn continued her work with Ella during the 2016-17 school year when she mentored her in the GT visual art offering at Gorham Middle School. Ella continues to take art lessons with DaraLyn at her home studio.

As a 17-year educator at Poland Regional High School (RSU 16), I have had the opportunity to

collaborate with an extensive group of educators and have acquired a strong sense of the qualities

needed to be an effective classroom teacher. Such an educator must have a passion for teaching her

field of interest; be patient with a diverse collection of students and willing to meet students where they currently are in the learning process; have the ability to communicate effectively with young people, help them set goals and communicate effectively with parents to share their student's progress. Most importantly, however, effective educators must love and nurture kids and sing their praises to help them on a path for success. DaraLyn exemplifies all of these traits. Through her passion for the arts, patience, ability to effectively communicate, and love of the kids she works with, DaraLyn easily became the most impactful person Ella has known outside the home. Ella, a kid who struggles with adult relationships and her academic confidence, has blossomed under DaraLyn's mentorship in her art studio and the GT program.

Last year when DaraLyn mentored the GT visual art offering at GMS, the public showcase of art work

that punctuated the program was truly wonderful. The student art exhibition was comprehensive,

thought-provoking and an inspirational contribution to the GMS community. I truly believe that giving DaraLyn more educational opportunities to work with the any student as their full time art teacher will be an exceptional benefit to the community.

Beyond her native art abilities and natural affinity for kids, DaraLyn has an easy going and affable

personality that is infectious wherever she goes. I can easily imagine that any parent would be thrilled

to have his/her own child taking a class with DaraLyn. What a gift! Please feel free to follow up with

inquiries at any time.

Sincerely,

Daniel Novak

PRHS Humanities teacher & Gorham parent

danjo.novak@gmail.com

207-576-0385

DanNovak.pdf