STANDARD 1: CONTENT PEDAGOGY

The teacher understands the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline he or she teaches and can create learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter meaningful for students.

KEY INDICATORS:

1. Demonstrates an understanding of the central concepts of his or her discipline.

2. Uses explanations and representations that link curriculum to prior learning.

3. Evaluates resources and curriculum materials for appropriateness to the curriculum and instructional delivery.

4. Engages students in interpreting ideas from a variety of perspectives. Uses interdisciplinary approaches to teaching and learning.

5. Uses methods of inquiry that are central to the discipline.

ARTIFACTS:

1. With a Studio Art background, I have a strong understanding of art making processes and materials. I think that this knowledge inspires confidence in my students, especially at the High School level. When I introduced my embroidery lesson at Deering High School I brought in some of my own embroidery to show the students. Not only did this help the students to know me better but it also got them excited for the project. 

2. My teapot lesson at Deering High School built off of prior learning from the course. The Ceramics I course had already learned coil building, slab building, and had built lidded vessels. The teapot assignment required the students to apply everything they had learned so far in the course. This sort of progression in a curriculum is essential for students to understand the purpose of their assignments. 

5. During a paste paper demonstration with my Adaptive Arts class at Deering, I asked my students to predict what kind of marks each tool would make on the paper before I demonstrated it. Not only did this help with student engagement but it also encouraged the students to apply their knowledge from previous art making experiences in order to predict an outcome.