Standard 6: Positive classroom environment. The teacher creates a democratic learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, student responsibility, and self-motivation.

Indicators:

• Creates a comfortable, well-organized physical environment with clear academic and behavioral expectations
  • Works with students individually and as a group to manage their own behaviors and assume responsibility for their own learning
  • Implements positive classroom management techniques for establishing structures, routines, and procedures, gaining attention, and facilitating transitions.
  • Uses time effectively
  • Creates an environment in which students work both cooperatively and independently
  • Establishes a classroom climate of openness, caring, mutual respect, and inquiry
  • Facilitates student choice and decision-making
  • Engages students in service to classroom, school and community

1) Teaching Philosophy-The art room can be a place of creativity and skill building if clear expectations, routines, and strong classroom management are consistently communicated. My teaching philosophy states my beliefs on what this looks like and how I strive to create projects that are challenging, yet manageable so that students experience success and gain self-confidence through their accomplishments in the art room.

To view my Teaching Philosophy: 

TeachingPhilo_Edit55.pdf

2) Classroom Management in Effect-Recently I subbed for my mentor teacher and I had a second grade class that was extremely challenging. From the moment they entered the room they were out of control and not listening to my attempts to get them focused. In between that class and when I saw them next, I did a lot reflecting on how to approach behavioral issues with them in the future.  I talked to their classroom teacher and my mentor teacher to get advice and come up with a plan. When they came to the next class we immediately launched into a group discussion about what happened, and I had them identify unacceptable behaviors that they observed. As a class, we created a written group contract about what positive behaviors they need to show in order for the class to be safe and able to make art. At the end everyone signed their name. In future classes I have referred back to this contract to remind them of what they said and it has proven to be an invaluable teaching tool. 

3) Self-Portrait Critiques-I led several self-portrait critiques in the first grade. All the work was hung up on the wall and then I asked students to talk about another portrait and highlight something they liked and why. They were asked to only say positive comments. Every student's portrait was talked about and it was clear that positive reinforcement from their classmates made them feel recognized for their hard work.