Standard 3: Beliefs about teaching and learning. The teacher clearly communicates beliefs about teaching, learning, and the role of education in ensuring access and equity for all students.

Indicators:

• Clearly communicates a realistic vision or stance (personal philosophy) for a learner-centered education
  • Seeks opportunities to discuss beliefs with colleagues
  • Uses reflection and inquiry to clarify and challenge beliefs
  • Is confident and open about beliefs
  • Demonstrates practices that support espoused beliefs and communicates them to others
  • Articulates the importance of an equitable education for all students

Artifacts:

1) Service Learning in Art Paper-  In 2014, during our Art Education Seminar, I was asked to write a paper on a topic in art education of my interest. I chose service learning in art as my research topic, which can be described as ,"Arts-based Service learning actively engages participants in meaningful and personally relevant arts and service activities." (Brown & Leavitt, 2009, p. 12)

To view my Service Learning in Art Paper:

ServiceLearninginArt.pdf

2) Teaching Philosophy-The art room can be a place of creativity and skill building if clear expectations, routines, and strong classroom management are consistently communicated. My teaching philosophy states my beliefs on what this looks like and how I strive to create projects that are challenging, yet manageable so that students experience success and gain self-confidence through their accomplishments in the art room.

To view my Teaching Philosophy: 

TeachingPhilo_Edit55.pdf

3) My Experiences with Experiential Learning-I have a background in outdoor education which has experiential learning at the core of it's philosophy. Casco Bay High School is an experiential learning public school and throughout my internship I participated in projects and fieldtrips outside of the art room. One example of this was I was asked to be an Expert Curator for the senior classes expedition. Their expedition was a project inspired by Landays Poetry. The students each made an art piece to be exhibited for the show. Then they were responsible for collaborating with one another and creating a group exhibition with the entire senior class. This meant they experienced the role of the artist from the process of making to presentation and performance. My role was to meet with one group, listen to their ideas, view their projects, and offer my advice as an artist. Ultimately, all decision making was up to the students and through this process they were able learn by doing. 

To view Landays Exhibition schedule, rubric, exhibition layout, etc.

Landays Exhibition.pdf

4) PHI 220 Philosophy of Art-I took this course while at USM and we read a range on beliefs about art from ancient philosophers, such as Plato and Aristotle to more contemporary thinkers such as, Nietzsche, Tolstoy, the Navajo people and the Guerrilla Girls. This class was held once a week and was mostly devoted to in depth discussions on the text. We would discuss the readings as a large group and also break up into smaller groups to discuss our own thoughts on the author's writing.

Course description of PHI 220:

What makes a person creative? What do artists think about their art? How do critics evaluate a work? If art is created for a cultural ritual or healing, is it to be understood differently? How do the circumstances of a work's creation and reception influence its evaluation? How do a person's class, ethnicity, and gender influence the artwork and its reception. Philosophers in the field of Aesthetics attempt to answer questions which artists, art historians, anthropologists, and critics ask about art. The works of art and philosophy considered will be drawn from a wide variety of cultural contexts.