Maine’s Standards for the Initial Certification of Teachers
1. Demonstrates knowledge of the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline(s) s/he teaches and can create learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter meaningful to students.
2. Demonstrates the ability to integrate the concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures among the disciplines.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of the diverse ways in which students learn and develop by providing learning opportunities that support their intellectual, physical, emotional, and social development.
4. Plans instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, students, and curriculum goals.
5. Understands and uses a variety of instructional strategies and appropriate technologies.
6. Creates and maintains a classroom environment which supports and encourages learning.
7. Demonstrates the ability to support students’ learning and well being by engaging students, home, school, colleagues, and community.
8. Understands and uses a variety of formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and support the development of the learner.
9. Demonstrates an awareness of and commitment to ethical and legal responsibilities of a teacher.
10. Demonstrates a strong professional ethic and a desire to contribute to the education profession.