Standard 10: Professional development.  The teacher is above all a learner who reflects on and evaluates choices and actions, and continually strives to improve practice

Indicators:

• Actively seeks out and participates in professional development activities and articulates and applies what is learned 
  • Actively seeks and acts upon feedback from colleagues and students 
  • Continually reflects upon, inquires about, and employs new teaching practices 
  • Honestly assesses her or his own knowledge and abilities and acts upon that assessment by setting goals 
  • Demonstrates competence through multiple sources of evidence 
  • Engages productively in collegial discussions about educational issues
Artifacts:
Click on the title to view the artifact
I attended two workshops.  The first was titled: Going Beyond the Activity: Assessing the MLRs: Three C's (Creativity, Criticism,& Connections).  This workshop was presented by Patti Gordon. She shared about the ways that she teaches and assesses music to elementary students.  She shared the ways that she collaborates with the art teacher to make fun and interactive lessons.  The second workshop I attended was titled: Visual Journaling: A Pathway to Reflective Self-Assessment.  Melanie Crowe presented this workshop with slide show examples of visual journals that her students had completed using Keynote to show the step by step process of artowrk creation.  Through the use of Visual Journaling her students became more independant with their artmaking choices.
.
.
Visit to Rowe Elementary School in Norway Maine
During my elementary internship I chose to visit the classroom of Alisa Blundon who decided to break away from the norm of lesson plans and try a new way of teaching called TAB.  TAB stands for "Teaching for Artistic Behavior".  This form of instruction is unique in that there are minimal lesson plans.  The Art room is set up in sections called "Centers" and each Center provides all the tools necessary to explore a particular medium. Students are encouraged to pursure mediums and subjects matters that interest them.  Self assessment and peer assessment are strong componants of TAB.  After my visit to Alisa's classroom I was greatly inspired to research TAB.  I am currently learning more about the process and I hope to implement parts of it into my teaching practive where I see fit. The website is here: TAB: Official Site
.
.
Book Making Workshop Day for all Art Teachers in the Old Orchard District
All the art teachers in the district gathered and each individual shared a book making lesson. Four hours later I left with a handful of fun book making lessons and lasting memories to share with my students.  Here are some samples that I made during the workshop: